Machinery of government changes for DEDJTR
Published: 11 December 2018
The Victorian Government has announced machinery of government changes which will take effect from 1 January 2019. These changes mean the current Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR) will transition into two new departments – the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) and the Department of Transport (DoT).
DJPR will provide a dedicated focus on continuing Victoria's strong economic performance by growing industries and regions while DoT will deliver the government's transport infrastructure agenda.Simon Phemister is Acting Secretary for DEDJTR for the remainder of the year and from 1 January 2019 will be Secretary of DJPR. Simon was Deputy Secretary, Economic Policy and State Productivity at the Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPC) where he established the Latrobe Valley Authority, supported delivery of the Major Transport Infrastructure Program and led work to further drive Victoria's economy and jobs growth.
Corey Hannett is Acting Head of Transport for Victoria until DoT starts on 1 January 2019. He will then assume the role of Acting Secretary of DoT while a recruitment process takes place. Corey oversees the Major Transport Infrastructure Program at DEDJTR, including the Melbourne Metro Rail Project, the Level Crossing Removal Project, the West Gate Tunnel Project, the North East Link Authority and the Major Roads Authority.
Prior to the machinery of government announcement, Richard Bolt, the former Secretary of DEDJTR, shared his intention of leaving the Victorian Public Service to pursue other opportunities. He leaves a substantial legacy following his leadership at the Department of Primary Industries, the Department of Education and over the last four years at the helm of DEDJTR.
DJPR will support the following ministers:
- Minister for Jobs, Innovation and Trade; Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events and Minister for Racing: Martin Pakula
- Minister for Priority Precincts: Gavin Jennings
- Minister for Creative Industries: Martin Foley
- Minister for Fishing and Boating: Jaala Pulford
- Minister for Suburban Development: Marlene Kairouz
- Minister for Small Business: Adem Somyurek
- Minister for Regional Development, Minister for Agriculture, and Minister for Resources: Jaclyn Symes.
DoT will support the following ministers:
- Minister for Transport Infrastructure: Jacinta Allan
- Minister for Roads, and the Minister for Road Safety and the TAC: Jaala Pulford
- Minister for Public Transport and the Minister for Ports and Freight: Melissa Horne.
DJPR will welcome the following:
- The Office of Suburban Development from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
- The Office for Racing from the Department of Justice and Regulation
- Sport and Recreation Victoria from the Department of Health and Human Services
- The Latrobe Valley Authority and the Precincts function of the Department of Premier and Cabinet.
DJPR will farewell the following:
- Industrial Relations Victoria will move to the Department of Premier and Cabinet.